Saturday, October 13, 2007

And lest I think I'm doing well as a parent...

I have to share with you two very different dialogues I have had with my two polar opposite sons in the last 24 hours....

1) Luke was asking me what day it was yesterday morning, and when I told him Oct 12th, he said "Aidan, that means it is just 2 months and about 2 weeks from Christmas!!!" So I asked him why Christmas was so important....to which he responded "we get to ask Santa for all kinds of presents." OK - true 7 year old answer. So, I probed further....But Luke, WHY is Christmas really important? And he looked at me like I was dumb and said "because Jesus was born on Christmas." Yay - so he does get it! Then I said...why do you think Santa comes on Jesus' birthday? To which he responded "Because Mom Jesus is in our hearts, so when Santa brings us presents, its really him bringing them to Jesus." Oh my goodness isn't that sweet?

Before I get too caught up in how wonderful it is that my son really gets some of the deeper things in life, here comes Aidan to crash my world - - - -

2) As I'm putting the boys to bed tonight, I notice a picture of myself and my Mom on the boy's dresser. I ask Aidan why it is there, and he says "Because I love you Mommy so much that I want to always look at you." Aw sweet - but unfortunately, there's more to it than that. I also notice that there is an out of place towel on their dresser. When I remove it, I realize it was covering the fish's tank. Upon further inspection, I see that the fish tank is FILLED with food, floating and sinking everywhere! It dawns on me quickly that Aidan must have gotten a hold of the food, fed Leonardo without any hesitation, and then remembered that that can kill a fish, so he not only covered the tank with a towel but shoved a picture frame up there so I wouldn't notice!!! Thank goodness Leonardo seemed to be still OK - and I rushed him into the kitchen to clean his tank. But that does nothing to unclench my heart that cannot stop worrying about how this second child of mine will hide anything, lie about anything, do anything wrong without too much of a second thought. Sigh. I always say God has a sense of humor - he gave me two children of the same gender, but their similarities stop there. AHHH!

No comments: