Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Love transcends words

As I've mentioned in a past blog, Luke's best friend at school is "from Vietnamese" as Luke says. John likes to call Luke on the phone and chat, and he often asks Luke to come over and play. We've had a stalemate on that issue for a while, as I have a rule that I have to meet the parents of anyone Luke wishes to play with, and John's Mom doesn't speak English. So, we've just kind of bypassed it for a while, but yesterday it came up again. John really wanted Luke to come over and play. Finally I asked Luke to put John's sister (who is 9 and is the family's translator) on the phone. She got on and I introduced myself. I asked her if her Mom was aware the John was inviting Luke over, and she said yes, she was. Then I explained to her my rule about meeting the parents, but that I also knew her Mom didn't speak English. So, she said I could come bring Luke, and meet her Mom then, as she (the sister, Lin) would be there.

So, Luke, Aidan, and I drove to John's house. I was met at the door by John's sister, Mom, and Grandma. They were all sweetly smiling at us. His Mom gestured for us to all sit on the couch. Then she brought Luke a Sprite and frozen yogurt, myself a cream soda, and Aidan a frozen yogurt. She just kept smiling brightly at me, then Luke, and then John. I told her my name, and she shared hers. Then, more smiling. Luke, being SO shy, didn't speak a word, and John is just as shy, so they sat on opposite couches, just looking at each other. Aidan of course, went all over the living room, looking at toys, and asking John's Mom what everything was.

As I was sitting there, I realized that she and I may not speak the same language, but we shared something very special in common - we both have a deep love for our sons, and want them to be both happy, and yet safe. She wants John's friends to come there so she can be present with them. I want to meet the parents of Luke's friends, which I know she respected and understood. Finally, after much silence, I told Lin that I could stay there while Luke and John played, or I could leave him there and return in one hour for him. I asked what her Mom preferred. She said "Luke is the guest, it is up to him." So, I asked Luke if he wanted me to stay or go. He just shrugged...to shy to speak his mind. I asked him again to tell me what he wanted. Finally, he quietly said "You can go". So, I told Lin that he wanted me to go, if it was OK. She again said "Luke is the guest, whatever he wants is what my Mom wants." I rose, headed to the door with Aidan, and John's Mom appeared from the kitchen doorway. Lin told her the plan (I think) and his Mom smiled and said "One hour, OK." It is really quite beautiful to think that we never really spoke or at least conversed, yet the love in our hearts for our sons conveyed everything.

No comments: