Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ah the strong willed/shy child!

Luke has declared that he has no desire to do any kind of organized sport this spring, which is fine. He tried T-Ball last year, and didn't much like it. We thought he would try soccer this year, as he LOVES to kick a ball around, but no such luck. So, the only thing he said he wanted to do was some kind of Ninja training (ie martial arts). He has been on a waiting list for Warrior's Way for 2 months. They called last week and said they had an opening, and he could come try out a class first to see if he liked it. So, today was the day for that. Well, he was excited about it, until we walked through the door. He instantly clung to my leg, and literally started crying like he was about to get 5 shots or something. The lady said, "oh, this wasn't his idea, was it?" which made me feel so stupid, as she had no idea how much it was his idea...though you could not tell at the moment. So, he was nearly hysterical, and she thought it best to not have him don the "Little Dragons" apparel just yet. He finally agreed to watch the class...and that was rather begrudgingly. We sat and watched what I think was SUCH a neat thing (they focus on respect first above all!), and Luke even smiled now and then (all the while I am trying to keep Aidan OUT of the class, which he completely wants to be a part of). They played dodgeball, crawled Ninja style across the floor, practiced kicking against a thick pad, played "hot lava", and began each exercise with a martial arts bow to their competitors. It was completely inspiring. When all was over, she asked him if he'd like to come back tomorrow to actually try it out. She got a shrug out of him, and I said "I think we'd like that, I'll let you know." Now, mind you, there are 40 other children BEHIND Luke on the waiting list, so they are being generous to even give him 2 chances. And, as I tucked him in to bed tonight, he informed me that he did not want to go tomorrow, and he would like to give someone else a chance. Sigh!

No comments: