Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Tribute to D*A*D*S

Today is Father's Day. Partly because of the situation our family is going through right now and partly because I'm feeling sappy/sentimental today, I wanted to pay homage to the great fathers that I know.

MY DAD - Dad, how can I tell you in words how much you mean to me? You have always been a source of strength, encouragement, acceptance, love, humor, and Christianity to me. Even now at age 37, I still seek your advice and input (now I know I don't ALWAYS take it but....) and you always have just the right words at the right time. I think God plants the words in your mouth that I need to hear, and you are the instrument by which I receive them. What a beautiful honor! You are my father AND my friend, my counselor and my spiritual leader at times. You are also a wonderful Grandfather to my boys. They are lucky to have a cool Poppy who knows soccer better than most anyone I know, and who can still kick a ball around the backyard with them. We cannot wait until you and Mom move here to be positive influences on their daily lives. I love you and am glad I am still your little girl.

MY CHILDREN'S DAD - Dail, you too have NO idea what you mean to me. I am not good at showing it, but I feel so deeply in love with you. I am proud of the father you are to our boys. They love you - and relish spending time with you...riding bikes, playing soccer, or just wrestling in the living room. "Tackle me down Daddy" as Aidan says! Luke is so lucky that you are one of his soccer coaches, promoting a positive, fun learning environment for the Puma team. And when I am at my wit's end with our sweet, mischievious boys, your patience comes to the rescue. Your involvment in church makes my heart burst, and your care for your family is simply beautiful. These past 4 weeks have been probably the most emotionally draining on you of any in your life, yet you still take care of your Mom every day, the two of you going to Hospice to whittle the hours away sitting at your Dad's bedside. You make sure she is taken care of in every way. I love you!!!!

MY FATHER IN LAW - Melvin is one of the strongest men I've ever met. When I met him he was 73 years old, and at that time, physically stronger than most college aged men I knew. He has lived his life without fear, with great selflessness, and with love for all mankind. Though it is SO hard to watch him slipping from this life, I know that he has lived nearly 89 years of the most wonderful life. He is from a far different generation than my own, yet he lovingly tolerated all my inquisitiveness - realizing that I wasn't questioning him or his abilities, but yearning to learn more about his way of life. He loves his grandsons with every ounce of his heart - and even now looks for them each day to visit him in Hospice. They bring the hugest smile to his sweet face. I love him and know that he will live on in my husband and his daughters and grandchildren. He leaves a great legacy for all of us!

Happy Father's Day to each of you - and to all of the wonderful fathers God has filled my world up with.

No comments: