Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bifocals and Dentures?

No, I am not referring to my eyesight and teeth - nor Dail's. Nope, not my inlaws or parents either. Next guess? Oh yes, it would be my youngest son! Ugh! The remark my mother in law made when I told her what I'm about to tell you in the this blog went something like this: "Poor Aidan will be wearing bifocals and dentures before he's 10 years old!" :)

We had a long trip to the metroplex today to see both a pediatric dentist and pediatric ophthamalogist. And, after 5 hours in the car and 2 1/2 hours at doctors...we've been told that Aidan has very bad teeth and eyes. He of course already wears glasses - now he will begin wearing a patch for two hours daily to try to strengthen his weakening right eye. In addition, his teeth are awful - he has 5 visable cavities, and depending upon what is found after xrays, he could have more! The *worst case scenario* is he will have to have a root canal AND eight crowns!!! You'd think I feed him only candy and haven't yet introduced the poor child to a tooth brush. The worst part of it all (besides the enormous cost) is that he will have to do it under IV sedation, which scares us to death. So, Dail and I have much to discuss and figure out - yet he actually left for D.C. minutes after the eye exam (he's doing Strengthsquest for Mac Thornberry's office - another story for HIS blog). Sigh....so my poor baby is banned from any hard candy, fruit snacks, fruit roll ups, etc. And, we have to have at least one of the teeth taken care of immediately. The others *might* wait until we can at least get him on our dental insurance in September.

As I keep reminding myself...it could be much worse, and these battles some parents would choose over the ones that have been given to them. So, we just move forward. Thank God we have an easy going child, who after this whole day, was no worse for wear. In fact, his only thought tonight during prayers was this..."Mommy, in our new house, will we have a play room that has any corners?" "Yes, why?" was my reply. Then he says with a sob stifling his voice "because I don't want to have to sit in a corner when I get in trouble in the new house!" Now mind you, he hadn't been in trouble all day, nor were we talking anything about the new house. Funny funny kid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for all that! I hate that he has the kind of luck that I do! He is a trooper and is strong and that will prove to be a big help to you and Dail. I was going to email you and still will but decided to comment on your blog...maybe it will start a trend. I do read them I promise...and I always enjoy it. It makes me feel closer to ya'll. Got to get back to work but I will chat with you soon!

Love ya!