Friday, January 04, 2008

Almost could be a Seinfeld episode




Dail came home tonight to find our kitchen exploded with purees....broccoli puree, sweet potato puree, yellow squash puree, spinach puree, and carrot puree.


He looked at Kelly (my accomplice) and I and said "That stuff better not be going into my dinner." The whole thing could certainly be a Seinfeld episode, and I can hear Jerry saying those similar words, with his goofy expression and sideways glance. The funny part is - it DID go into his dinner, and I have Jessica Seinfeld to thank! She (Jerry's real life wife) has a new cookbook that Kelly gave me for my birthday with one stipulation...You better use this and you have to make me do it with you too! It's all about cooking the foods your kids and family like, with little inserts of purees they cannot taste (supposedly) and getting healthy foods into them! It's called Deceptively Delicious.






I was skeptical at first, but decided to give it a try. So, today I called Kelly and told her to come to my house this afternooon, veggies in hand, and we were going to make some purees! And, I did try out one of her recipes for dinner tonight: Meatball soup. It was really quite good, complete with a carrot and sweet potato puree in it. Both of my kids ate it (which for Luke is a small miracle) and Dail even said it was pretty good! I ended with a chocolate chip cookie recipe for dessert, which wasn't so hot. It has chickpeas in it - and they aren't pureed. Oprah said she couldn't taste them when she had them on her show, but she has to be crazy. There are big chunks of chick peas IN the cookie - the texture alone gives it away! Actually, my boys ate those too, but Dail begged me not to repeat that recipe. LOL Next week it will be brownies with broccoli puree - stay tuned!

No comments: