Monday, May 26, 2008

Hardships and honors

Well, last week was an emotional one for us. We took Dail's Dad to the ER on Wednesday, and he has been in the hospital ever since. His blood pressure has been dangerously low (60ish over 30ish!!!) and his kidneys had begun to shut down from severe dehydration. They've been running many tests, and have thus far concluded that he had an infection from the high antibiotics he was on for his pneumonia, as well as gastritis, and overall a very weak heart. He will have a colonoscopy today too. He was doing better on Saturday, with his blood pressure up and he and I even had a 30 minute conversation. But yesterday he was doing poorly again. It is such a difficult time. And I hate to watch his wife of nearly 55 years sit by his side, day after day, with worry all over her face. So, we just take turns sitting with her, trying to make the time squeak by a bit more quickly. They are a beautiful couple - with so much love for each other.

In the midst of it all, Luke had his awards program at school on Friday. He received so many awards - and I was a beaming Mom!

  • A Honor Roll
  • WOW 50 points club
  • PE Award - for being the only child in 1st grade to participate in Jump Rope for Heart
  • Good Conduct Award
  • Excellence in Work Habits Award
  • 6 Flags Reading Program award

It made me so proud - especially given the struggles he had earlier in the year with a new school and new learning style. His reading has improved TREMENDOUSLY! Although it makes me so sad that he does not enjoy reading like I do. Maybe that will change.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with my kids, my inlaws, and my overall state of mind. I appreciate the wonderful friendships I have!!!

No comments: