Thursday, May 15, 2008

We Live

I have had a week of worry, concern, and much prayer. My sweet father in law's health is steadily declining, and it is so hard to watch. Equally difficult is seeing my mother in law trying to handle it all - it is emotionally draining on her. We finally convinced him to go to the doctor yesterday, so Dail and I took them there and Dail stayed in the exam room with him. In the end, the doctor determined that Melvin has pneumonia and then some dementia. The dementia is especially hard to grasp, as he has had one of the sharpest minds of any 88 year old I've ever known. Surprisingly, she didn't put him in the hospital. He got to go home with some strong antibiotics.

In addition, one of my former students found our her newborn baby had multiple heart problems, and he underwent open heart surgery on Tuesday. I have cried, worried, and prayed for both of these causes until my head aches and my eyes are red. Last night, I had to drive to Arlington for a dinner meeting, and I was listening to my new IPOD (Mother's Day gift). The song "We Live" by Superchick came on, and for whatever reason, the words were just what I needed to hear:

...But with life we never know when we’re coming to the end of the road

So what do we do then with tragedy around the bend?

Chorus: We live we love

We forgive and never give up

Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above

Today we remember to live and to love

Please pray for Melvin and for baby Luke - and remember that your life is a gift!

1 comment:

Joyous Joy said...

Debbie,
I'm so sorry to hear about Melvin. You know Drew and I love them both so much. We will be praying for all of you. I know Dre will want to give Dail a call.
Much Love
Joy