Saturday, April 11, 2009

Migration and change

It is funny to me that during this season of Lent when we are supposed to be transforming our minds and hearts to be closer to Christ, my family is undergoing some huge change!!!

My parents have been wanting to move to Texas probably since I brought grandchildren into their lives. It has been "in 5 years, we'll be closer to you"...."in 2 years"...."in one year"....well now they put a sign up in their yard to see about selling their house, and my Mom decided she would retire in July. The first couple who looked at their house made an offer, and want to be in their house by May 29th!!! It has sped up my parent's plans by a bit, and my Mom was having second thoughts I think. They've lived in Nebraska their entire lives, and now in less than 2 months, they will be moving to a whole new state (let's face it, if you are a Texan, then its a whole new world!). They are coming down for Luke's 1st Communion in a few weeks, and plan to meet with a homebuilder and sign a contract to build a house here. I can't believe before summer, my parents will actually be here! BIG MIGRATION and CHANGE

My brother also uprooted himself...just last weekend. He has lived in Tallahassee for about 8 years, and decided, for many reasons, it was time for a change. So, he applied for a job working for the Nature Conservancy. They called him, phone interviewed him, offered him the job on the spot, and asked him to be there by April 1st! So, he packed up what he owns into the back of his Honda CRV, and drove from Tallahassee to North Dakota (by way of Texas and Nebraska) and is now living in a bunkhouse up there working as a controlled burn ranger. He will be starting fires (once the flooding is over) to help the vegetation grow in different parts of North Dakota. AGAIN - MIGRATION AND CHANGE

On a much sadder note - we lost our first "baby", Sash, who migrated to Heaven yesterday. She has been sickly for a while, and had really gone down hill over the past week. Dail and I decided it was best to have her put to sleep. That is such a hard choice to make. So, I took her by myself to the vet, and held her til her heart beat for the last time. It was so difficult, heart wrenching, and hard to explain to our boys. But, I know she lived a full life and we took good care of her. I have never had an animal put to sleep, and I couldn't find solace in anything during that moment. I couldn't even find the words to pray all our simple Catholic prayers. It was just complete sadness. Still, I somehow made it through and drove myself home.

Life certainly isn't what you expect it to be - it throws you curve balls - it sends you flying in new directions - or sometimes stops you right in your tracks with a giant roadblock. But whatever the case, as long as you are here on this Earth, you just keep trying, learning, moving, growing, hoping, and living!

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

I'm sorry to hear about Sashy hon I know that was hard. Sending you big hugs.

Love you sis!