Saturday, April 05, 2008

Back above water....subtitle: retreat, piano, & jump roping



So....yes, I took a hiatus from blogging. I wish I could say it was a relaxing hiatus - but as most who know me would say - I never relax. Ugh!


RETREAT

What do you get when you take 66 high school freshman and sophmores, 21 college students, and a lot of God and put them together?? One very tired, but proud Debbie. The confirmation retreat my students put on last weekend went exceptionally well. We started off with a group of kids who really were despising their weekend at "church camp" to ending with kids who said they felt the Holy Spirit in their lives for the first time ever! The transformation in their attitudes and their faith was amazing! God worked wonders through my students to soften some hard hearts. I am just filled with gratitude and pride for my college students. :) You guys rock!!!

PIANO

If you've known me a while, then you know I have a strong affinity to playing piano. I haven't had a piano of my own since I moved from Nebraska, and though I take a minute or two at the CCC to play the one there, I rarely get my piano fix - which is something that is very relaxing to me. So - whenever we go home to Nebraska, I always sit down at my old piano, and play my heart out, forgetting the rest of the chaos that is always present in my head. It is honestly on my packing list each time to bring piano music home. Sadly, this time I forgot to bring any. Well, when we got to Omaha - I was even more saddened to see that my piano was gone! I knew my parents were going to sell it eventually, as they couldn't move it here, and it wasn't played by them. But to walk down the stairs and see an empty space where my piano always sat was a bit sad. I ran upstairs and said to my Mom "Where'd the piano go?" To which she smugly replied "Did you look at the box in its place?" (Stick with me - this is becoming a Grandma story as we say in my family!). I only saw a blanket over some box down there. So - I ran back down and lifted the blanket to unveil a box with a Yamaha portable grand keyboard! I was told it was mine to bring back to Texas. Oh my goodness!!! You cannot imagine my surprise, nor my happiness! The end of this long Grandma story is that it is now nicely set up in my bedroom, and though I haven't had a great deal of time to play with it, Dail and I have discovered that not only can it make any instrumental sound, but it also has train, helicopter, tire squealing, wind, ocean, and about a hundred other fun sounds!!! Tonight it is my mission to watch the instructional DVD!
Jump Rope for Heart
Many of you so generously donated to Luke's jump rope for heart fundraiser. He ended up raising the 5th highest amount for his whole school! Thank you to all of you who helped!!! The strange this is that he never got to actually jump. It was very disappointing but apparently the day that the school did it, the 1st grade had to practice for their PTA program - so they didn't get to participate. I was very upset and spoke with his school about it - but it seemed Luke was one of the few who really cared whether he jumped or not. So, he never jumped. :( Seems to me they could have rearranged things somehow, but they didn't. I had him jump rope while we were in Omaha - but he knows he never did it "for real". However, he came home yesterday with his prizes....a rocket launcher, jump rope, water bottle, flying magnets that make a loud noise, carpet skates, and a t-shirt. CrAzY! And the American Heart Association is $215 better because of Luke and your generosity.






No comments: