Monday, August 15, 2005

IKE-ugh

We had a great little weekend get away to Dail's sister's new place in Royce City...not too far outside of Dallas. They just moved there two weeks ago, and we went to help them out a bit and to also go to IKEA that just opened in Plano. We spent a great afternoon with them on Saturday touring the town and the school they will be working for (all while our niece Adrienne watched the boys - thank you SO much!) and then we all had dinner, Crickett and I went to Kohl's, and we then hung pictures and moved furniture until 12:30 AM.

The next day (Sunday), we got up, lazed around a bit, and then headed into the urbanesque land. Dail wanted to hit REI (his favorite sporting good store) and then up Preston Road to IKEA. Well, I had been warned that the place was a mad house and like driving to Six Flags or something, without the shuttle service. We approached IKEA and traffic on 121 slowed to a near standstill. We finally exited, circled the Dallas Stars practice arena twice, and FINALLY got into the parking lot. Little did we know that the mayhem was only just beginning. We went inside, had already lost Crickett & Dale, and Aidan was professing he wasn't having anything to do with sitting in a cart. After finding Dail's sister, we went the speed of every other crazy person in there (which was either too fast or slow, depending upon whether you wanted to stop and look at something or not) and spent 2 hours finding deals we just couldn't pass up. Once we got downstairs where most of the inventory that is displayed upstairs is located, we all were tired, a bit cranky, hungry, and did I say tired? [we had all taken turns holding Aidan, who is not a small child to lug around]. Finally we approach the check out stands, and clearly realize we are like cattle going to slaughter. There are 17 checkstands open, each with about 20+ waiting. Dale Montgomery declared there was nothing in his cart that he wanted to wait in THAT long of line for someone else to TAKE his money. He was overruled by the women of his household, but he was probably the smart one. ONE HOUR and TWENTY minutes later (yes, 110 minutes folks) we arrived at checkstand #13. I told Crickett that was our first problem - we got in lane #13?!?! By this time, my Dail had taken a crashed Aidan to the car, and Luke was rolling around on the floor getting filthy, which I didn't even care about anymore. I spent all of $30, and left feeling a mixture of satisfaction and stupidity....happy I went, braindead for actually buying anything that day!

We did have a good time overall, and the boys were very good overall, so that's what really matters I guess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea ~ Hello that place was CRAZY! I couldn't understand the phenomenon that is IKEA ~ I was blown away... it was crazy running into you there as well. What are the odds. There were so many people all around and for once I didn't care. I was preoccupied with all that great stuff that would look so wonderfully perfect in my new house! Ahhh the joys of debt! :)